We're back with JLin takes and tidbits:
1. Take aways from Orlando? It's hard to describe in words just how far this Jeremy Lin mania has gone. It's just insane. Everywhere you turn you'd see Lin jersey's or T-shirts; Families decked out in Lin-wear, of all race, color, and creed. It was just so awesome to see. There were more Lin jerseys than Kobe, DWade, and LeBron's, combined.
2. Also, Jeremy is always thinking one step ahead. He didn't want any of the spotlight in the Rising Stars game as it only makes him an even bigger target in the 2nd half of the season. He asked for less time not only to rest, but to give others the spotlight.
3. Jeremy had a relaxing day off on Sunday and went fishing around Cocoa Beach.
4. What's my expectations for the 2nd half of the season for JLin and the Knicks?
Worst case: 19 pts 8 assists (all-star level)
Status quo: 22 pts 9 assists (top 5 PG)
Best case: 24 pts 10 assists (MVP level)
Many believe that Jeremy will come back down to earth. I fully expect him to keep up the pace, even exceed it a bit. I'm looking for 23 and 9.5 in his starts for the rest of the season. There will be off nights and his TO's will still be high, but he will produce and the Knicks will get to 40 wins.
5. For those of you who may not know, Charles Jenkins is the guy the Warriors drafted in the 2nd round to basically take Jeremy's spot. With the shortened season, there was no summer to dual it out. Instead, Jeremy practiced for 1 1/2 hours and was cut, all this on the first day of training camp. I heard a lot of the Warrior media types saying they really improved their bench and that Jenkins looked like a player.
Check out his line from tonight and this season:
Starts and goes 0-5 from the field 2pts in 18 minutes.
9 starts 9.2 mpg 2.4 ppg 1.4 apg .6 rpg
I'm not saying that this guy won't be decent down the road, but come on, this is just another incredible miss by Warrior management. Jenkins for Lin, are you kiddin me? By the way, I actually like Mark Jackson as a coach. I think if they had kept Jeremy, Jackson would've given him an opportunity.
6. There's been a lot of talk about Jeremy's physical improvement over the summer. We'll have an interview with one of the trainers he worked with extensively, Dr. Phil Wagner of Sparta Science, coming up.
7. I love this matchup tonight between two of the top young point guards in the NBA. Kyrie Irving is on fire right now and is the leading candidate for Rookie of the Year. Too bad basketball doesn't have the same rule as baseball on minimum playing time to be considered a rookie. If they did, Jeremy would be battling Kyrie for ROY right now.
Check out their PER (Player Efficiency Rating)